May 22, 1994- A group of sixty-seven citizens and former students of Semmes School met together in the Semmes School Cafeteria for the purpose of forming an organization to preserve the 1902 one room Semmes Schoolhouse. Donations were collected in the amount of $370.00.
May 25, 1994- An organizational meeting with the election of officers was held in Semmes School cafeteria with the name Alumni & Friends of Semmes School chosen for the organization. Officers elected were President Joseph E. Shumock, Vice-President Norville H. Couey, Treasurer-Mary Waters Hopkins, Secretary Kathryn K. Shumock, Corresponding Secretary- Linda Hudson Davis
July 18, 1994- Alumni & Friends of Semmes School was Incorporated as a 501(c)3 not for profit organization.
August 25, 1994 -The Semmes One Room School house was declared an Alabama Historical Landmark, as the oldest continuous in use school in Alabama.
1998 -The one room school was returned to its original land location where it is today. Mr. Thomas Jefferson Howell donated this land to build a school and church close to what had become the center of town, the railroad. It is interesting to note that Mr. Howell in the deed specified that a school was to remain on the land or the land would revert back to the Howell family. The first school in Semmes was a log cabin located on the township’s 16th section of land and was used for a church and community meetings as was the custom in rural areas.
1999- The 1902 School Restoration was completed.
May 5, 2001- The dedication was held and work began on furnishing the school as it would have been in 1902.
2003-Semmes Heritage Day was begun.
2004-2005-Living History Lessons began in the fall with attendance of second graders from E.R. Dickson and in the spring Dr. Turner’s History of Education TE517 University of Mobile. Living History Lessons continue today.
Malone Chapel- A replica of the Mt. Pleasant Church that was built at this location in 1902. The bell in the belfry is the original bell. Mt. Pleasant church became Semmes First Baptist.
2013- A log cabin, reminiscent of early life in Semmes was added. It was built and delivered by Trophy Amish Cabins. It is furnished with a rope bed (Replica), donated period furniture, 1900’s pump organ, displays of kitchen utensils, tools, and other items. Pioneer settlers came by wagon, cut down pine trees and built their own log cabin homes.