Semmes is rich in history.
A historical treasure that remains from the 1900's is the 1902 one room school house located on land that was donated for a school and a church by Thomas Jefferson Howell. When Mr. Howell donated the land he stipulated that this land would be used for school or that it would revert back to the Howell family.
The one-room Semmes School was designated as an Alabama landmark on August 25, 1994. Around 1917 it was moved across the road next to the new stucco building where it remained until 1998.
When there was talk of tearing it down, a group of concerned citizens came together to form Alumni and Friends of Semmes School, Inc., a non profit 501 (c) 3 volunteer organization. The Mobile County Public School System (MCPSS) gave Alumni and Friends of Semmes School Inc. the 1902 school. A 99 year lease of the original property was given to the organziation by MCPSS and the school was moved back to its orginal site in 1998. Restoration of the school was completed in 1999 by Alumni and Friends of Semmes School Inc.