Turner Family 1900's
G.M.D. Turner and Mary Diana Withrow Turner came to Semmes in 1900. They purchased property from Ben and Grace Cromwell just east of the Mobile, Jackson and Kansas City Railroad right-of- way on the north side of Moffett Road. Mr. Turner died in 1916. Mrs. Turner was a practical nurse, and inspiration to her granddaughter, Mary Poole. In 1922 Mary Diana Turner married Thomas John Strike. She died in 1944 and is buried in the Semmes Cemetery.
Harry A. Poole and Maude Turner Poole came to Semmes in 1902 with son, Harry Fulton Poole (later a W.W.I veteran) Winifred Sarah and Mary Diana were both born after they moved to Mobile County. Mr. Poole died in 1909 The children attended school in Semmes and Mrs. Poole was assistant Postmaster. In 1942 she married James E. Good from Ashland, Illinois, an original member of the Semmes Land Company. His return to Semmes after 40 years was because of failing health. Mr. Goode died in 1944 and was buried in Ashland Illinois.
"Scrapbook of Memories"
Going to Allentown Camp Ground
SunDay Afternoon Buggy Rides
Picture above submitted by Mary P. McKinney shows William Richard Turner and Bertha Joyner having a Sunday Afternoon Buggy ride. This picture was made on the old road south of Red Creek and east of what is now McCrary Road as it goes through gully near old Tramway Lumber Co. The old swimming hole and Joyner Ford Bridge were near. C. 1912
"Scrapbook of Memories "
Semmes Hotel 1901-Funk Hotel
Semmes Hotel was built in 1902 by Albert Rufus Funk, He left Moweaqua, Illinois in 1899. He married Amanda Nixon. They are buried in Semmes Cemetery. This hotel was also call the Funk Hotel. It was located near the train station, the post office and Charles McCrary's store.
"Scrapbook of Memories." Please note. The building no longer exist and is reported to have been destroyed by fire.
Downs School 1896
Professor and Mrs. C.D. Griffin
" Scrapbook of Memories "1996
"One of the first educators- C.D. Griffin, professor at the Boys Industrial School in Semmes around the turn of the Century, directed the institution under a strict atmosphere, running a dairy farm at the same time; all completely managed by the boys. The kindhearted gentleman taught the boys and many area people at no charge, and held an annual picnic on the school grounds each Fourth of July."
Miss Scott's 5th grade classroom was in the 1902 School building in the 1940's.
Miss Scott is remembered by former students for fairness, kindness, teaching honesty, and respect for each other, as well as the lessons of the day.
A favorite time of the day, was after lunch, Miss Scott would read to the class from the Hardy Boys Mysteries or Nancy Drew Books. When she finished the reading she would ask thought provoking questions about the stories, always the teacher.
Her love of her students and teaching was recognized by the Board of School Commissioners in 1949.
Preserving our History