Semmes Land Company
August Pickus, James E. Good, Arthur H. Humphrey, John S. Crawford, Abraham Westhafer, John H. Oren, Emanuel Goode and A.R. Funk in Christian County Illinois formed the Semmes Land Company came south to Mobile, Alabama.
According to Mobile county probate records, on November 28, 1900 the Land Company purchased a section of land fifteen miles northwest of Mobile in Albritton Precinct and began to lay out the town of Semmes near the railroad station. A. R. Funk built a hotel next to the railroad station.
The men boarded with the Charles McCrary family while laying out the town of Semmes. Charles McCrary had homesteaded in Albritton Precinct in 1870 had a “stop over house” for people to stay in when traveling to and from Mobile.
Semmes becomes a City Municipality
The people of Semmes on August 17, 2010 voted to become Alabama’s 461st municipality. Mobile County Probate Judge Don Davis declared the City of Semmes incorporated on May 2, 2011
Preserving our History