Return of the Church Bell
The historic twelve hundred pound cast iron church bell made by the Cincinnati Bell Foundry in the late 1800’s has been returned to Malone Chapel. Malone Chapel is the replica of the 1900’s Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church located on the original site In Heritage Park. The name of the church was changed to Semmes First Baptist Church in 1904. The bell was donated to the park by Semmes First Baptist upon the completion of the Mt. Pleasant church replica.
The bell was purchased by Albert P. Funk, the owner of Semmes Funk Hotel, in 1902 for $50.00 C.O.D. and arrived in Semmes by train for Mount Pleasant Baptist Church. Miss Fellie Christopher, the railroad station agent for Semmes collected the fifty dollars.
The bell was transported by horse drawn wagon to the Mt. Pleasant Baptist church. It was installed using ropes, pulleys, men and horses to lift the bell to the belfry.
Recently, it was discovered that the bell and belfry need maintenance and repair. The removal and repair of the bell was a challenge and no small task even with modern machinery.
When Semmes Air Specialty Heating & Air learned of the bell’s endangerment, they came to the rescue with their expert know how. Crane Works was called. The bell was safely removed and returned to the belfry by Crane Works after maintenance and repairs by Air Specialty.
Community Spirit is alive and well in Semmes. Thanks to Air Specialty and Crane Works the historic bell can once again ring!
Preserving our History