Morris Hill School/Crawford Community House
Morris Hill School was located in the Crawford Community on Alabama Highway 42 (Now called Highway US 98).
Changes came about in 1917 when the Mobile Co. Public School System Consolidated Morris Hill School with Semmes School when the new stucco building was built in Semmes.
Prior to the consolidation, in 1916, two of the teachers of Morris Hill, Mrs. Eta Lord, Mrs. Margaret Cogburn and Mrs. H. R. McCrary planned a Thanksgiving Supper for the parents and children of the school.
It was a great success, causing the community to decide once a month to have a community supper. Families of the Community would gather together, bringing large baskets of food to be shared by all at Morris Hill School. A Prayer was offered up prior to the meal.
Becoming a Community Club
In 1920 the community organized themselves into a Community Club. They purchased the grounds and building of Morris Hill School from the Mobile County School Board and named it Crawford Community House. Citizens came together and remodeled the Community House by donating their time for repairs. Money for materials was raised through lawn parties.
The Community Center was the heart of Crawford, providing a place to gather to catch up on the community news, visit with neighbors, food and fun activities, quilting parties; however, dancing was not permitted. Active committees made home visits to the sick. Education programs were presented by the Mobile County Home Demonstration Agent on improving farming and homemaking skills and political discussion took place.
As so many things have gone by the way side, so has The Crawford Community Club. The building was used by a various groups and torn down last year.
Source- Mobile Press Register, Sunday, March 11, 1951. “Crawford Community House to be Repaired, Remodeled”
Preserving our History