Pauline Pound Dodd (Mrs. Tom Dodd, Sr,) grandfather was James Aplin McCrary. Under the Homestead Act of 1862 the McCrary's homesteaded in Albritton Precinct that was later named Semmes after the famed Adm. Raphael Semmes, a southern naval hero.
A group of Northerners led by August Pickus formed Semmes Land Company, Inc. (book 3 page 484) and bought a section of land fifteen miles northwest of Mobile and laid out the Town of Semmes lots and streets close to the railroad. Pickus and the other fellows boarded with the McCrary Family.
In an interview that was published August 4, 1978 by Lolo Pendergrast a city writer with the Port City, Pauline talked of life in Semmes.
" We had no electricity, no running water, but we had fireplaces and a hand pump near our back steps for all our water."
"A "wood cook stove" warmed country fresh meals, as well as chilled bodies of inhabitants and passersby alike."
"Moffett Road, now known as Hwy 98, was a sandy dirt road. Cars were few and far between. Mr. Funk who built the Funk Hotel had a car he used as a taxi to take people to Mobile. He went early in the morning and returned around 5 o'clock."
"Mr. Luce drove a Stutz from Lucedale at the top speed of 30 miles per hour going to Mobile once a week. Mama would say, don't get near that road-Mr. Luce will be flying by here in a minute."
"By 1903 the train service was twice a day, morning and evening. Somewhere around 1918 bus service began. The most reliable transportation was horse and wagon, or you just walked"
Preserving our History