Semmes School 1917-1918
The first consolidation of schools in west Mobile Co. was in 1917 when Allentown School, Crawford (Morris Hill School,) and Powelltown school were consolidated into Semmes School. The Stucco building was built and the 1902 one room School was moved across the street to sit by it. Additional buildings moved to be beside the stucco building were the old Semmes Post Office and the Allentown School. We have a photo of students that attended in 1917-1918 on display in the 1902 School.
This was the beginning of Semmes becoming the educational center of western Mobile County.
In 1949 students from Wilmer School and Tanner Williams School came to Semmes for High School, and in 1960 students from Forest Hill Elementary came to Semmes for High School.
In 1965 a new High School, Mary G. Montgomery (aka as MGM) was built in Semmes on the townships sixteenth section of land close to where the first one room log cabin school was built. In addition a new Semmes Elementary school and Semmes Middle School were constructed on this same land.
It was necessary to construct two additional elementary schools, Allentown Elementary and J.E.Turner Elementary that feed into Semmes Middle School and MGM High School, making these schools some of the largest in the state of Alabama. The Semmes population continues to increase as one of the most desirable places to live.
Leave a Reply.
Preserving our History